Undoubtedly, Allah alone deserves all praises and worships, it is He, Who created everything in pairs. May His benedictions be on Muhammad (SAW) – the father of: Fatima, Ruqayyah, Umu khultum, and the husband of Aishah and all those that follow his footstep till eternity, Amin.
Friday, Nov. 25 marks the International Day for the Elimination of Violence Against Women.
While the world is preparing to recognise this day, some uninformed elements among homo sapiens who view Islam only through a myopic lens would want to cry out, that this day should attract a huge rally among Muslims.
Since, Muslims are the ones who subject their females to various “cruel” conditions such as: covering them in the hijab, and keeping them in the house as house wives only, marrying in multitudes, denying them some positions like Muadhin, Imam and so on.
So, why don’t you go through this extract from one of the previous editions of “FROM THE MIMBAR series with me?
“In India, the subjection of women is the norm. Day and night, women must be held by their protectors in a state of dependence, says Manu. The rule of inheritance is agnatic, that is descent traced through males to the exclusion of females.
In Hindu scriptures, the description of a good wife is as follows: “a woman whose mind, speech and body are kept in subjection, acquires high renown in this world, and, in the next, the same abode with her husband.”
In Athens, women were not better off than either the Indian or the Roman women. Athenian women were always minors, subject to some male – to their father, to their brother, or to some of their male kin.
Her consent in marriage was not generally thought to be necessary and “she was obliged to submit to the wishes of her parents, and receive from them her husband and her lord, even though he were stranger to her.”
A Roman wife was described by an historian as: “a babe, a minor, a ward, a person incapable of doing or acting anything according to her own individual taste, a person continually under the tutelage and guardianship of her husband”.
The Arabs are not left out in the cultural subjugation of women, they either bury female children alive or use them as a means of amusement for the nobles by dancing stark naked in palaces.
They were not permitted to participate in governance and they were denied their rights. In fact, a pregnant woman prays to give birth to a male child rather than a female child for her to regain her lost glory and value in the community.
However, in the midst of these darkness that engulfed the world, the divine revelation echoed in the wide desert of Arabia with a fresh, noble, and universal message to humanity clearly stating the values of females:
1. It started by assigning a whole chapter to females, Suratu Nisai; this shows the great value Islam accords females. Mind you, Suratu Rijaal does not exist. Allah also clearly balanced the origin of man from a single male and female.
“O Mankind, keep your duty to your Lord who created you from a single soul and from it created its mate (of same kind) and from them twin has spread a multitude of men and women…”[4:1]
“The Creator of heavens and earth: He has made for you pairs from among yourselves”[Noble Quran 42:11]
2. Women (Hawau) according to the Quran are not to blame for Adam’s first mistake. Both were jointly wrong in their disobedience to God, both repented, and both weree forgiven [Noble Quran 2:36, 7:20-24].
3. Its only in Islam that females are given equal consideration to male in terms of worship to Allah. “Whoever works righteousness, man or woman, and has faith, verily to him will We give a new life that is good and pure, and We will bestow on such their reward according to their actions” [Noble Quran 16:97, 4:124, 33:?]
4. Despite the social acceptance of female infanticide among some Arabian tribes, the Quran forbade this custom, and considered it a crime like any other murder to bury one’s daughter.
“And when the female (infant) buried alive – is questioned, for what crime she was killed.”[Noble Quran 81:8-9]
5. In term of Knowledge, the prophet [SAW] had emphasized the importance of female education likening it to that of someone training a nation. He also said, “Seeking knowledge is mandatory for every Muslim”[either male or female].
6. In marriage: Islam has made compulsory the consent of a female before she can be married.
7. Islam regards kindness to one’s parents as next to worship, giving special recommendation to mothers. As instructed, the prophet advised one of the companions to be good to his parents mentioning the mother three times before the father.
8. A righteous mother who trained three of her daughters till marriage is promised paradise by the prophet [SAW]. This sayings shows the importance of training the female while giving special privileges to the trainer, the mother and not the bread winner, the father.
If the rights of females are to be exemplified, pages would be exhausted as inks would become pale and saliva would become dry. Therefore, we are expected ase Muslims to value our females, daughters, sisters, mothers, Aunts, Grand Mothers, Maids, step daughters e so as to see the pleasure of Allah. “
9. Considering the Geometric increase in females and the arithmetic increase in males, it will only be considerate for the world population and avoid infidelity in marriages if more than one woman is married legally than having concubines who will not halt the marriage but will also give birth to bastards that will eventually ruine the family.
Therefore, Islam permits a capable male to marry more than one wife to protect his chastity and also reduce the tendencies of infidelity in marriages. Q 4: 3 explains better.
10. For the sanity and protecion of the females, Islam gives them opportunity to engage in business, even though, they are to be taken cared of by their husband or father in totallity, (which other way of living could have reverrer women so high to this extent) worthy of mention is Khadijah who was the wife of the prophet (SAW) yet one of the merchants.
11. Any serious relIgion that is divine will not allow women to be incharge of talking in the presence of men. The voice of women is such that, it arouses the urge in men especially those whose heart has disease.
This could make them to plot inorder to exploit the women in question. Even the Bible forbade female talking in public, 1 Timothy 2:12 and 1 Corinthians 14:34-35 explains better.
Therefore, recognising the International day of violence against women is not enough but promoting the rights of women is paramount. Enlighten the big Madame to treat her maid kindly so also her step daughters, female workers and other females that surround her.
Exploring this oportunity to welcome all the newly admitted students (merit and supplementary) to UNILAG both muslims and non-Muslims.
As you are about to begin your academic pursuit in life may Allah see you through and protect you from all forces that could sway your academics or dwindle your closeness to Allah.
You are, therefore, invited to the 102 Islamic Vacation Course of MSSN Lagos State Area Unit to be held between Dec. 28, 2016 and Jan. 1, 2017 @ HCDC, Naforija Epe with the theme; in the shade of Islam.
For enquiry and movement schedulle from UNILAG, please contact the following numbers:
IMAM Abdur-Rasheed Adeoye
Amir, MSSN UNILAG