Female bomber, another woman die in Gombe blast

download (87)

A female suicide bomber and one other woman passer bye were confirmed dead in the bomb explosion that ripped through the Gombe Stadium, venue of the PDP Presidential Campaign rally on Monday.

We had earlier reported that the blast went off at about 3 pm, shortly after President Goodluck Jonathan and his entourage left the stadium.

The Police Public Relations Officer, Gombe State Command, DSP Fwaje Atajiri, confirmed the death of the bomber and woman passing bye.

He also hinted that six other persons sustained various degrees of injury.

An eyewitness said that the bomb was detonated by a suicide bomber shortly after the rally had ended.

The source said that ahead of the rally, which was attended by top Federal Government officials and the Peoples Democratic Party chieftains, there indications that there were plans to embarrass President Jonathan and his host, Gov. Ibrahim Dankwambo during the rally.

It was gathered that the unfavourable report led to tightening of security around the stadium and other parts of the state.

There had been spate of bombing in the state in the last three weeks.

As part of extra security measures put in place for the rally, PDP supporters were restricted to specific areas far away from the state box and the podium where Jonathan and the party leaders addressed them.

(Visited 35 times, 1 visits today)
Also read  Zuma's legal costs a new dispute in South Africa

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *