The Assistant Commander, Area E Command, Festac Town, Muawiyah Halilu has said that the cause of the explosion at Abule Ado was not yet known.
Halilu told newsmen at the scene of the explosion on Sunday in Lagos that the cause and casualties were yet to be ascertained.
“When we got here, people were running helter-skelter and we tried to control the crowd to prevent people from going where the fire was burning.
“From eyewitnesses, nobody can tell if it was a pipeline vandalisation or not, all that we heard was a loud explosion and vibration.
“I cannot give you an exact number of casualties, for now, I only saw one corpse on the ground, the others I cannot say,” he said.
Also, the Commandant of Nigeria Civil Defense Corps, Lagos State Command, Fasiu Adeyinka said the cause of the explosion was not yet certain.
Adeyinka said that the damage was so much and rescue operations were ongoing to get people out of the rubble of collapsed buildings.
“There are casualties but they cannot be ascertained now,” he said.
However, the Amuwo Odofin Local Government Chairman, Mr Valentine Buraimoh said the explosion was as a result of a technical fault from the pipeline.
He added that eyewitnesses at the scene told him that the fire started while they were running after they heard the explosion.
“I was informed that it was a technical fault from the pipeline that it’s not a result of vandalisation, that there was a gas leakage.
“There are some army personnel about 20 metres away monitoring the pipeline so it’s not vandalisation,” he said.
Buraimoh noted that when they arrived at the scene, they were able to rescue some students from the Bethlehem Girls School.
The Chairman, AOLG Environmental Task Force, Mr Akindare Adetifa called on the government to provide the fire service with the necessary equipment need to quench fires.
“Many have been injured and been taken to the hospital.
“The firefighters are doing the best they can; imagine using a hose that is not up to 10 metres to quench a fire that is a mile away.
“There is the much they can do without the necessary equipment to fight the fire,” he said.
There were about seven fire fighting vehicles, emergency response agencies including the Red Cross and National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA).
Also, many houses including Bethlehem Girls School had collapsed.
The houses that were still standing had their roofs either blown away or crushed.
Vehicles were seen with crushed windscreens and dents from the explosion that occurred.
Many residents who had gone to church could not go back home while others didn’t have any home to go back to; many lamented their loss.
A corpse was seen on the ground, close to the scene of the explosion.
Bethlehem Girls School building had collapsed and eyewitnesses say many students were still trapped in the building.
As at the time of filing this report, no agency had been able to ascertain the number of casualties recorded and the fire was still burning.