The death toll is expected to rise after a 7.1 magnitude earthquake strikes 120km from Mexico City, collapsing buildings and killing more than 119 people on Tuesday.
The earthquake rocked central Mexico causing buildings to collapse in plumes of dust also forced thousands to flee into the streets in panic.
The quake came less than two weeks after another quake left 90 dead in the country’s south, and it occurred as Mexicans commemorated the anniversary of a 1985 quake that killed thousands.
There are reports of about 100 people trapped in a collapsed textile factory. I’ll bring more details as I get them.
Associated Press has filed this report on people still trapped in the rubble.
The federal interior minister, Miguel Angel Osorio Chong, said authorities had reports of people possibly still being trapped in collapsed buildings.
He said search efforts were slow because of the fragility of rubble.
“It has to be done very carefully,” he said. And “time is against us.”
At one site, reporters saw onlookers cheer as a woman was pulled from the rubble. Rescuers immediately called for silence so they could listen, for others who might be trapped.
Mariana Morales, a 26-year-old nutritionist, was one of many who spontaneously participated in rescue efforts.
She wore a paper face mask and her hands were still dusty from having joined a rescue brigade to clear rubble from a building that fell in a cloud of dust before her eyes, about 15 minutes after the quake.
Morales said she was in a taxi when the quake struck, and she got out and sat on a sidewalk to try to recover from the scare. Then, just a few yards away, the three-story building fell.
A dust-covered Carlos Mendoza, 30, said that he and other volunteers had been able to pull two people alive from the ruins of a collapsed apartment building after three hours of effort.
“We saw this and came to help,” he said. “It’s ugly, very ugly.”
Mexican President, Enrique Peña Nieto, who said he was flying to Oaxaca when the earthquake hit but immediately returned to Mexico City, has declared Mexican emergency services are available to the whole affected population.
He has ordered the evacuation of damaged hospitals, transferring patients to others nearby.
Miguel Ángel Mancera, the governor of Mexico City, has declared an emergency to release support services.
The public works government department said there had been no damage to public works and freeways were open – a claim quickly questioned by incredulous residents.
US President Donald Trump has offered his support to Mexico following the earthquake.
The US and Mexico – as well as their neighbours in the Caribbean – have suffered a string of natural disasters in recent weeks and despite diplomatic hostilities between Trump and Mexican leaders, there have been offers of assistance.
Mexico had offered aid to the US in the wake of Hurricane Harvey, but last week said it had to withdraw its offer because it needed to focus its resources on the Mexican recovery from its deadly earthquake a week prior.
A Mexican news agency is among the many posting shocking footage of the earthquake’s aftermath, including collapsed buildings and destroyed roads.
The hospitals have begun receiving the injured, and people have been urged to keep the streets clear for emergency services.
There are many reports of people coming to the aid of their neighbours, searching for survivors in the rubble before emergency services have reached sites.