There will be no more parties for now at the San Roque National High School in Bohol, Philipines, after 38 Grade 11 students were rushed to the Governor Gallares Provincial Hospital, due to food poisoning.
On Tuesday, at around lunch time, the school was celebrating their nutrition month culminating activity, where food was served per section.
Students from the General Academic Strand B had grilled fish, kinilaw, iced tea and kutsinta, among others.
on Wednesday, all of the students complained of high fever and diarrhea and were immediately brought to the hospital.
Doctors said the students were suffering from acute food poisoning.
The school is now investigating which of the dishes served was the root cause of the poisoning.
While some students have already gone home, 16 of them, including the class adviser, are still recuperating in the hospital.
Meanwhile, medical researchers say bacteria lurking in home kitchen sponge may cause food poisoning.
”To the naked eye, a dish washing sponge may look clean. In truth, it may be carrying a number of disease-causing microbes that may put people’s health at risk.
With reports of food poisoning happening in different parts of the Philippines, a food consultant has warned the public that a possible culprit for food poisoning ”is actually in the kitchen — a dirty dish washing sponge”.
Technical consultant on food, Remedios Baclig, said sponges that are used for washing kitchenware and dinnerware may become contaminated with bacteria such as E. coli, Salmonella, and Campylobacter, all of which can cause food poisoning.
Baclig said these microbes can stay in the sponge very long and thrive. The sponge may be used not only for cleaning plates but also to clean other parts of the kitchen such as the sink.
Bacteria can spread via cross-contamination and may end up in food.
To combat the problem, Baclig recommended that sponges must always be thoroughly cleaned after every dish washing.
A liquid dish washing soap with anti-bacterial properties is best in ensuring that microbes in the sponge aren’t just washed out but are eliminated to prevent them from spreading.
”Water and ordinary soap aren’t enough to clean a sponge. Always use an anti-bacterial soap. After cleaning the sponge, keep it dry,” Bachig said.
SOURCE: ABS-CBC News