2017 Hajj: 1.4m Muslims converge in House of Allah

Muslim pilgrims circumbulating round the Kabbah at the Grand Mosque ahead of the annual hajj rites.

More than 1.4 million Muslims have so far arrived in Saudi Arabia for this year’s pilgrimage, the state-run Saudi Press Agency said Thursday.

Pilgrims arriving Saudi Arabia for 2017 pilgrimage

Pilgrims arriving Saudi Arabia for 2017 pilgrimage

More than two million people are expected to participate in this year’s hajj, the fifth pillar of Islam that is compulsory for capable Muslims to perform, at least once in their lives.

The Hajj rites proper begins next week, to climaxed with climbing the Mount Arafat on the Thursday, 9th day of Dhul Hijjah, 1438 AH (Aug. 31, 2017).

This year’s pilgrimage marks the return of Iranians pilgrims, after Tehran’s boycott last year.

“So far 1,313,946 pilgrims have arrived by air, 79,501 by land, and 12,477 by sea — an increase of 33 per cent compared with the same period last year,” the Saudi Press Agency said, citing passport officials.

The figure includes more than 400 Qatari pilgrims, local media reported, despite an intensifying row between Doha and Riyadh over arrangements for the religious event.

All Qatari pilgrims arrived through the Salwa border crossing with Qatar.

The hajj has been clouded by the worst political crisis in the Gulf in decades, with Saudi Arabia leading a four-state bloc that suspended all ties with Doha on June 5 over accusations the emirate backed Islamist extremists.

Qatar has denied the charge and said this week it was worried pilgrims from the emirate would be treated badly.

But the Saudi media has repeatedly broadcast images showing officials courteously assisting Qatari pilgrims.

The Hajj Ministry has said the kingdom, home to Islam’s holiest sites, welcomes all pilgrims from different nationalities.

Also read  Saudi virtue officers held for 'chasing' girls

The ministry added it was equipped to handle the additional crowds after the completion of expansion works at the Grand Mosque in Mecca, the most revered site in Islam.

More than 1.8 million faithful took part in last year’s hajj.

But Iran’s 64,000 pilgrims stayed away for the first time in three decades after tensions between Riyadh and Tehran boiled over following a deadly stampede during the 2015 pilgrimage.

An agreement was reached earlier this year to allow Iranians to take part in the hajj.

Iran and Saudi Arabia will soon exchange diplomatic visits, Tehran said this week, in a possible sign of tensions easing after the archrivals cut ties last year.

SOURCE: AFP

(Visited 104 times, 1 visits today)

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>